Answers to the Most Common Questions We Get From Our Clients
Not sure if you have a valid case? Are you having difficulty getting a payment from an insurance compnay after your accident? Are you not sure of the difference between a Will and a Trust? Don't know exactly what documents you need to craft an effective estate plan? Get simplified and straight forward answers to all of your legal questions in our FAQs. If you don't see the answer to your question here, contact us directly for help with your inquiry.
- Page 1
What is a statute of limitations?
A statute of limitation is a type of law that restricts someone from bringing forth a lawsuit after a certain period of time has passed
For example, say you were in a car accident three years ago and your car was totaled. Now today, you decide to file a lawsuit against the person who wrecked into you in order to help pay for a new car. Unfortunately, the statute of limitations for Texas personal injury cases is two years. Because you waited three years from the date of the accident, which is one year passed the statute of limitations, you will not be able to file a lawsuit.
Victims of car accidents need to know about this limited period of time to file a lawsuit after their accident. In both Texas and Oklahoma it is 2 years from the date the accident occurred.
What is a contingency fee?
A contingency fee is defined as a sum of money that a lawyer receives for their services only if the case is won.
So, if a lawyer says they work on a contingency fee, you do not have to have any money up front to hire that lawyer and you will also not owe that lawyer anything while they actively work on your case.
Instead, their fee will come when/if they secure you a settlement.
If they don't win your case, you do not owe them anything. However, if they do win your case, you will pay them a percentage of whatever money they won for you.
For car accident cases and other personal injury cases, we work on a contingency fee. Price shouldn't be the reason you don't hire an attorney.
Help! A car hit me while I was riding my bike and now I’m in serious pain. My doctor said that I’m lucky to be able to walk, but I seriously injured my spinal cord. Texoma friends told me that I should reach out to a lawyer for help. Can you give me any tips on how to cope, and what I should do?
A spinal cord injury in Texoma can be very serious. Your spinal cord acts as the control center, relaying signals from your brain to the rest of your body. Moreover, your spinal cord is a very delicate structure so when it’s damaged, it can be very painful.
Every spinal cord injury is unique, but there are a few things that everyone who experiences this injury must do to protect him or herself while healing.
- Follow all of your doctor’s orders. Your health is most important. When it comes to coping with your injury, it is best to follow all of your doctor’s orders. This includes heading all advice on exercise, diet, rehabilitation, and more.
- Don’t talk to the other person’s insurance company. A Texoma spinal cord injury is complex. The insurance adjuster handling your case may ask you tricky questions to try to downplay the extent of your injury. This can be costly and should be avoided at all costs. Leave the communication up to your Texoma spinal cord injury lawyer instead.
- Recruit help from friends and family. This can be very difficult for many people. Asking for help may not come easy to you, but if you have a strong support network of people who want to help you out, it can be a tremendous benefit to take them up on their offer. Don’t be afraid to reach out.
While you follow these steps, you will be better able to cope with the pain, focus on your recovery, and still protect your Texoma spinal cord injury case. To find out specifically how a lawyer can help you with your unique situation, contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.
I was driving home from a night on the town with some friends. I was the designated driver, and didn’t have any alcohol. Suddenly, a drunk driver rear-ended me, leaving me and my passengers badly hurt. A friend of mine who was not in the car accident told me I should file a dram shop lawsuit. I’ve never heard of that. What is dram shop law in Texas? Do I have a case?
The term “dram shop” refers to a bar, club, tavern, or other establishment where alcohol is sold. The term came about because alcohol used to be sold in units called drams. Now, dram shop law in Texas refers to the laws over people or establishments that serve alcohol to their patrons.
Bartenders, restaurant owners, and servers have a moral and legal obligation to stop serving alcohol to someone who is intoxicated. This law was put in place as public policy to protect people from the bad decisions many people make while intoxicated. Some of these decisions put other people at risk, including:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Starting bar fights while under the influence
Because many people are not aware of this law, restaurants and bartenders may go unpunished when they serve too much alcohol. Your friend may be right. If a drunk driver hurt you, chances are you have a case against the commercial establishment that served him alcohol.
The first thing you should do is determine where the person drank prior to getting behind the wheel. If it was a bar or restaurant, it is important that you contact a dram shop lawyer in Texoma.
Proving that a person was intoxicated can be very difficult. With help from someone skilled in this area of law, you have a greater chance winning when you sue the bar after an intoxicated person hurt you. Contact our law firm today for help with your specific case.
Help! My spine was seriously injured in a truck accident in Wichita Falls. I’m trying to work with the insurance company on my own to save money, but it’s just too difficult handling all of the negotiations alone. Now I’m thinking of hiring a lawyer. How can a Wichita Falls truck accident attorney help me?
It’s tempting to go it alone after a truck accident in Wichita Falls. Hiring a lawyer may be the last thing you ever imagined yourself having to do. Unfortunately, certain situations, such as serious truck accidents, require the help of a skilled, experienced professional.
When you work with a Wichita Falls truck crash lawyer, you benefit in a number of ways.
- Peace of Mind. From the start of your truck accident settlement case, you will be hit with a lot of questions and requests. The insurance adjuster handling your claim will try to coerce you into taking a portion of the blame for the truck accident. Even dealing with all the paperwork can quickly becoming confusing and overwhelming. With a truck accident lawyer in Wichita Falls, you have a confidant on your side to work with giving you the peace of mind that your case is being handled well.
- Relief from Negotiations. Negotiating with the insurance adjuster is exhausting. You already have a serious spinal injury to care for. You do not need the burden of arguing your case with someone from the trucking company whose driver hurt you. A lawyer can take on that job for you.
- Confidence in Your Settlement. If a settlement is reached, you want to be confident that you got the maximum amount available to you. When you work with a skilled truck accident attorney, you will know that you got the best outcome possible in your case. This can help you sleep better at night and give you long-term relief from worry.
Working with a Wichita Falls truck accident lawyer has many benefits. At Steven Booker Law, you get an experienced attorney on your side skilled in truck accident law that can help you find pockets of money you did not know were available to you, and negotiate a fair and just settlement with minimal hassle to you. Contact us today to schedule your FREE consultation to learn more about how we can help with the specific details of your case.