Why You May Need a Wichita Falls Car Accident Lawyer
Anytime anyone is in an accident, they feel shaken up and exhausted, but yet thankful to be alive and ready to move on and put the accident behind them. Unfortunately, the feelings of gratitude quickly fade as they begin to feel the full extent of their injuries forcing them to seek unexpected medical treatment. Amongst all of this, they begin to get calls from insurance adjusters asking questions and asking for a recorded statement. It can all be overwhelming. Even the most minor accidents can result in weeks of rehab, emotional stress, and financial difficulty. When this happens, victims have the right to seek compensation from the person who caused the accident.
But these insurance companies don’t always make it easy. Often, adjuster will hound you for a records statement or to sign some documents, maybe even a release. And sometimes they will even discourage you from speaking with an attorney, ensuring you that you will be able to settle your claim without getting an attorney involved (what they don’t tell you though is that it is often for a low-end settlement).
These insurance companies are not your friends and their tactics are not for your benefit. These adjusters are trained to save the company as much money as they can and that means paying you as little as possible for your claim. Because of this, you should be very careful when talking with them (in fact, we suggest not talking with them at all until you have at least spoken with an attorney).
We can help you. When you have an experienced Wichita Falls car accident lawyer on your team, you send a message to the insurance company that you are serious and will not be pushed around or manipulated by their tactics. Instead, they will have to deal with a skilled car wreck lawyer who has handled hundreds of car accidents and dealt with hundreds of adjusters over almost 30 years, who knows these insurance companies and their hardball tactics, and who believes in your case and wants to help you recover.
When we take on your case, we are taking it on the risk it will succeed. This is because our Wichita Falls personal injury law firm runs all accident and injury claims on a contingency fee, meaning our fee is contingent upon the success of your case. You do not owe us anything up front and we only get paid when we recover compensation for you. Because of this, when we take on your case, you will know that we will truly fight for you and we truly believe it will succeed.
How Our Wichita Falls Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
- Download our attorney’s free book, The Traveler’s Guide to the Universe of Personal Injury. This book was written as a guide by our car accident attorney to help you ensure the protection of your legal rights, avoid common mistakes, and get your familiar with the various aspects of personal injury claims so you know how to move forward.
- Call our office at 940-569-4000 or fill out the contact form. When you reach out to our legal team, we will set you up with a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your legal situation. We will provide you with an honest evaluation of your case, including whether you may be able to handle the case on your own without help from a lawyer. If this is the case for you, we will offer you guidance on how to proceed and give you tips for each step of the way.
- Review our online articles, blog posts, FAQs, and videos. If you can’t find the answer to your question in one of these resources, simply fill out the contact form, online chat, or call us and tell us about your specific issue and we will get you some answers.
Our Wichita Falls car accident lawyer has the skills, experience, expertise, and resources needed to maximize your recovery after a car wreck. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a car accident in Texas or Oklahoma that require medical attention, you need to consult with an experienced attorney who will take care of all the legal work for you and guide you through the process allowing you to focus on recovering and getting better.
Meet with our team for your free consultation to discuss your case and get honest feedback about your legal situation. We want to provide you with the guidance you need, and there is no obligation to hire us. Knowledge is power, so by consulting with an attorney who has the experience handling these types of cases, you can rest assured you are getting sound advice. Even if you do not hire us, we will provide you with useful and practice information about car accident claims so you can make the best decision about your case.
Call us at 940-569-4000 or fill out the contact form to discuss your case. We are here to help.
Critical Information Victims of Car Accidents in Wichita Falls Need to Know
The Deadline to Seek Compensation
First and foremost, victims of car accidents need to know that they have a limited period of time to file a lawsuit after their accident. In Texas and Oklahoma, that deadline, called the statute of limitations, is 2 years from the date of the accident.
It's best practice to consult with an attorney as soon as possible after a crash. This is because vital evidence such as witnesses, road and weather conditions, surveillance tapes, the vehicles involved, and the debris at the scene usually start to disappear after a few hours, and it's important to gather and preserve this evidence as it could assist you in proving your case and obtaining a settlement. At Steven Booker Law we work hard on building your case and handling all of the red tape for you while allowing you the time you need to focus on healing. We do not collect any payment whatsoever until and unless we win your case.
After you've been in an accident, the insurance adjusters are going to be calling you and asking you to give a recorded statement about the accident and the events leading up to the accident. They will also be asking you about what types of injuries you have and what type of medical treatment you have been seeking following the accident.
Here are the rules when dealing with them:
- If it’s your own insurance company, you should cooperate with them. In fact, no matter whose fault the accident was, you should call your insurance company and let them know about the accident.
- If it's the other person’s insurance company, you are not required to give them anything. They will hound you for a recorded statement and make threats that they will not pay you anything unless you give them that recorded statement and that is just not true. Any information you give them can and will be used against you, so it is important to keep that in mind.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Wichita Falls
Whether you live in Wichita Falls, a surrounding area, or anyone else in Texas or Oklahoma, you will most likely, at some point in your life, be involved in a car accident. Every year in Texas and Oklahoma, there are over 35,000 motor vehicle crashes resulting in injuries or death with approximately 4,500 people being killed and over 40,000 people being injured.
When you are evaluating a Wichita Falls car accident claim, it is crucial that you understand all elements of the accident, including not only what happened, but also how it happened. Here are some of the most common causes of car wrecks in Wichita Falls and throughout all of Texas and Oklahoma.
- Distracted driving. Easily and by far, the most common case of distracted driving is due to the use of cell phones. Since the advent of cell phones, the number of distracted drivers has increased exponentially, whether it is simply talking on the phone and driving or looking down and texting while driving. Other common cases of distracted driving include eating, dressing, talking with passengers, searching for a fallen object, and messing with the radio. Our legal skills and expertise will allow us to effectively investigate and prove if distracted driving was the cause of your car accident.
- Drunk and/or impaired driving. Driving while intoxicated or otherwise impaired is extremely reckless and puts thousands of innocent people at risk, and unfortunately, it is all too common. Our Wichita Falls law firm has helped victims and their families recover after they were seriously injured by a drunk or impaired driver. Because of the substances and the blatant disregard involved in these accidents, the injuries associated with these types of accidents are often more serious, life-altering injuries, or fatalities. According to the Texas dram shop act, you can seek compensation not only from the person who caused the accident, but also from a bar or restaurant if they overserved the drunk driver.
- Speeding and/or reckless driving. There are traffic laws for a reason, and that reason is to maintain safety for everyone on our streets and highways. When people break these laws by running a red light or stop sign, unnecessarily swerving, or speeding, they are violating not only the law, but they are also violating your right to safety on the road. Drivers who break these laws need to be held accountable for their negligent actions.
Regardless of whether your accident was caused by a distracted driver, a drunk driver, or a speeding or reckless driver, our legal team has the knowledge, experience, skills, and resources to fight to hold those who are responsible accountable and recover the compensation for you that you rightly deserve.
Common Types of Car Wrecks in Wichita Falls
We have assisted clients in recovering from all types of motor vehicle accidents. Below are some of the most common types of wrecks:
- Multi-Vehicle Pileup
- Hit-and-Run Accident
- Drunk Driver Accidents
- Side-Impacts/T-Bone Wrecks
- Rear-End Impacts
- Head-On Collisions
Common Injuries Caused by Car Wrecks in Wichita Falls
We have assisted clients in recovering from all types of injuries. Below are some of the most common injuries resulting from car accidents:
- Head and Brain Injuries
- Neck, Back, and Spine Injuries
- Broken Burns
- Wrongful Death
As you can see, car accident often results in more than just simple inconveniences. They often lead to very expensive medical bills, time off work resulting in lost wages, costly future medical care, and even permanent impairment, thus impacting the way you live.
We have worked with clients with all varieties of injuries. We have worked with clients that have simple soft-tissue damage and we have worked with clients who have catastrophic injuries and even those who have lost loved ones. Our legal team will maximize your recovery and reduce your stress, allowing you to focus on recovering or properly grieve the loss of your loved one.
If you have suffered life-altering injuries, have lost a loved one, or are dealing with growing medical bills and difficult insurance adjusters, our legal team is here to help. Call us at 940-569-4000 or fill out our contact form.
Who Can Be Held Liable For Your Wichita Falls Car Accident?
Drivers are not the only people who may be held liabile for the costs associated with your wreck. Sometimes, third parties may be held liable in addition to the driver who caused the accident, including:
- City and state governments. Each municipality has a duty to maintain its roadways, including fixing potholes, installing the right traffic control devices, and posting signs to warn drivers of certain conditions. If a governmental agency could be held liable, you usually have to give written notice to the mayor within 90 days of the occurrence of the accident. Although these cases tend to be more complicated because you are dealing with a governmental entity, our attorney has experience handling these types of claims.
- Governmental contractors. A lot of cities and states will outsource the maintenance duties of the roads and highways. This extends the liability to construction companies, engineers, architects, and groundskeepers. We have the ability to determine whether a contractor was negligent and failed to take the appropriate safety measures.
- Bars and Restaurants. If you are injured by a drunk driver, you can seek compensation not only from the driver but also from the bar or restaurant that over-served that driver. This is called dram shop law.
- Auto manufacturers. If your accident was the result of a defect in the vehicle such as flaws in the design, faulty parts or systems, defective tires, or some other form of negligence, you may have a products' liability case. This could also extend to things such as faulty or defective airbags, tired, brakes, or steering systems.
Recovering After Your Car Accident
The type of compensation you are entitled to depends on the circumstances surrounding your accident. Most of the damages you suffered have to be proven up, and more often than not, the insurance companies will not pay you anything without hard proof of your losses. Remember, these insurance companies’ goal is to pay as little as possible, so they will low ball you hoping to get you to settle for less than you deserve. One of their tactics is to act like they are not going to pay what you are demanding, and many times they will hold out hoping you will cave in until they see the ability for you to prepare and take your case to trial.
When you hire an experienced Wichita Falls car wreck attorney, you will have the burden and hassle of the legal work lifted off your shoulders. The attorney can file a civil claim to recover compensation for you. Compensation such as:
- Property Damage
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Future Earnings
- Loss of Earning Capacity
- Past Medical Expenses
- Future Medical Expenses
- Physical Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Loss of Quality of Life
- Loss of Consortium
- Punitive Damages
Contact a Wichita Falls Car Accident Lawyer
If you have any questions at all, the best way to get them answered is to contact us. Our conversation will be confidential and free. Call our office today at 940-569-4000 or fill out our contact form to set up your free, confidential, no-obligation consultation.