Filing an Uninsured Motorist Claim After a Car Accident in Wichita Falls
If you’re involved in a car accident in Wichita Falls that was caused by someone who either doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your medical bills and the costs to repair your vehicle, then hopefully you have uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage is an optional, add-on coverage that will compensate you for the injuries to yourself and your vehicle in the event you are hit by a driver who doesn’t have the necessary insurance to cover your expenses.
Our Wichita Falls car accident law firm has dealt with uninsured motorist claims for decades. We’ve filed them and recovered the money on behalf of our clients, and we have also seen plenty of cases where UM would have come in handy. So, if you’re reading this, you should stop right now and go check your auto insurance policy to make sure it has UM on it. If it does, great. You might consider increasing it a bit. If it doesn’t, you should seriously consider getting it. It will provide you with some extra protection on the road and it is relatively cheap, especially for the coverage it provides for you.
How to File an Uninsured Motorist Claim After a Car Accident in Wichita Falls
When you file an uninsured motorist claim after a car accident in Wichita Falls, you are filing a claim against your own insurance company. Below is how that process will unfold from the time of the accident up through setting up the claim and receiving compensation.
1. Call the police to investigate. Anytime you are in a car accident in Wichita Falls, you should call the police to the scene and have them investigate the accident. When investigating the accident, the police will make an accident report, which will document what all occurred. This accident report will be a key piece of evidence that you will need later on to present to the insurance company in order to prove your claim and receive compensation.
2. Collect and preserve all evidence. As with all car accidents in Wichita Falls, you need to gather up and preserve as much evidence as possible. As mentioned above, the police’s accident report will be crucial. But there are many more things you can do to collect evidence and increase your chances of receiving the maximum amount of compensation up to your policy limits. The things you can do include taking pictures and videos of the vehicles involved and the accident scene as a whole, taking pictures and videos of your injuries, collecting the other driver’s information including any insurance information, and collecting any witness’s information, and if possible, getting a sign, written statement from them.
3. Seek medical treatment asap. If you’re injured in a car accident in Wichita Falls, or if anyone else is injured in the accident, you should call 911 and have an ambulance come to the scene to provide medical assistance. Remember that often times after being involved in Wichita Falls car accident, victims don’t immediately feel their injuries because of the adrenaline they experience from being in the accident. Because of this delay in symptoms, it’s best practice to go see a doctor anyways just to ensure you are okay.
4. Contact your insurance company. Once you have sought medical treatment, you should contact your insurance company to file a UM claim. You are likely going to have to explain what happened, how the other driver does not have insurance, and you are going to have to provide information about the other driver as well as the medical providers you have seen.
5. Contact a personal injury attorney. Unfortunately, just because you have insurance doesn’t mean they will be very willing or eager to pay. If your insurance company is giving you are hard time, you should contact a Wichita Falls car accident lawyer.
6. Make a demand and negotiate. We have successfully handled countless Wichita Falls car accident claims and we know how to deal with the insurance companies. The next step in the process is to utilize all the evidence you gathered to put together a demand that you should submit to the insurance company and begin negotiations.
7. Settle and receive compensation or litigate if necessary. Hopefully, you can settle your claim to your satisfaction. However, if your insurance company is either denying or significantly undervaluing your claim, you may have to file a lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve. If it comes to this, you are going to need a Wichita Falls car accident lawyer on your side.
Why Your Insurance Company May Deny Your Wichita Falls Car Accident UM Claim
While you are in contract with your insurance company, your insurance company also has an interest in making profit, which they do in part by denying or low-balling claims. Your insurance company may deny your Wichita Falls car accident UM claim for several reasons, including claiming that you didn’t give them sufficient notice of the accident, your damages are not covered by the policy or that you don’t have adequate proof of your damages. This is why it is so important to follow the steps above. Otherwise, it is important to get a Wichita Falls car accident lawyer involved.
What to Do When Your Insurance Company Refuses Your Uninsured Motorist Claim in Wichita Falls
If your Wichita Falls uninsured motorist claim is denied, there are several things you can do. First, you can start out by reviewing the denial letter to understand why your claim was denied. This will help you figure out how to respond. Next, you should organize a response with the necessary evidence to prove your claim. Additionally, you can request a copy of your policy to review what it covers. Finally, you can appeal your denial. Again, this appeal will need to include all the necessary evidence to prove your claim including the accident report, any photos or videos you have, any witness information and statements, and any medical records that pertain to the accident.
Contact a Wichita Falls Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you are trying to handle all this yourself, it can be overwhelming. But no worries because that’s what we are here for. If you or anyone you know has been in a car accident in Wichita Falls, contact our Wichita Falls car accident lawyer today at 940-569-4000 or fill out our contact form to set up a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation. We will give you a free evaluation of your case and offer you helpful advice for how to proceed.